Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Won't You Be My Neighbor? I sure will.


For several years in the mid 1970s, the Movie Slut was one of Mr. Rogers' neighbors (in the television sense of the word). Most weekdays, she tuned in with her daughter to watch the PBS lineup: Sesame Street, Electric Company, and Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.

Most days she'd ask Dana if she really wanted to watch that Mr. Rogers show. Dana would shake her head enthusiastically. The show was like a dose of Valium. Why did the kid love it so much?

Now we have a documentary that takes us behind the scenes to illuminate the man in the cardigan sweaters who voiced 10 puppets, and composed syrupy songs like "It's you I like." (So there Beatles.)

Fred Rogers was an ordained minister, who chose to teach, not preach. His message: Every child is special. His mission: To be the antidote to the negative forces bombarding children, many of which were other TV programs.

For those who watched his show this doc is a pleasant nostalgia trip. For everyone it's time well spent with a peaceful, loving man who, 15 years after his death, is still providing a reprieve from ugly, angry rhetoric.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I became Tame Tiger #512 when I watched Fred Rogers and Josie Carey in Pittsburgh on WQED around 1955. I loved the program and still remember the French I learned by viewing the program. Renee Cohen